Press Articles 2012
- News from 2012
Press Articles 2012:
- 19/12/2012 – “Ryanair to Varadkar: You can’t block bid” http://www.businessworld.ie/bworld/livenews.htm?a=3017139
- 18/12/2012 – “Ireland attacks Ryanair’s Aer Lingus bid” http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/967b1192-4940-11e2-9225-00144feab49a.html#axzz2FSJkYgrQ
- 4/12/2012 – “Separation will lead to over 850 jobs” http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/separation-will-lead-to-over-850-jobs-215876.html
On the possible separation of Cork Airport from the DAA, Mr Varadkar said it was a very different case as Cork had much higher levels of debt than Shannon.
- 4/12/2012 – “Sparks fly as Ryanair boss trades barbs with Varadkar in public spat” http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sparks-fly-as-ryanair-boss-trades-barbs-with-varadkar-in-public-spat-3315631.html
The Ryanair boss admonished the minister for lack of “bloody action” – which led Mr Varadkar to retort that a “money grabbing” Mr O’Leary needs “a new song to sing”.
- 13/11/2012 – “Petition to rename Cork Airport” http://aermiles.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/petition-to-rename-cork-airport/
- 5/11/2012 – “Petition to rename Cork Airport after Rory Gallagher gains over 8,000 signatures” http://www.thejournal.ie/petition-to-rename-cork-airport-after-rory-gallagher-gains-over-8000-signatures-662356-Nov2012/
- 1/11/2012 – “Rory Gallagher fans want an airport named after the Irish guitar great” by Steve Newton in Vancouver/Canada http://www.straight.com/article-824961/vancouver/rory-gallagher-fans-want-airport-named-after-irish-guitar-great
- 17/8/2012 – “Transport Minister accused of ignoring Cork Airport” http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/08/17/transport-minister-accused-of-ignoring-cork-airport/
- 30th July 2012 – “Rory Gallagher Museum Planned For Cork” http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/30/rory-gallagher-museum-planned-for-cork/
- 20th June 2012 – “Cork Airport Director Named” http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airport-director-named-198032.html
- 10/5/2012 – “Varadkar rules out independent Cork Airport” http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfsnmhmhgbmh/rss2/
- 9/5/2012 – “Shannon Airport to decouple from DAA” http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/shannon-airport-to-decouple-from-daa-550777.html
In relation to Cork Airport, the Government said it had decided “that the existing ownership of the Airport by the DAA will be maintained for the present”. “To take account of this decision, the DAA will be renamed to reflect the fact that there are now two airports and international businesses in the group structure,” the statement continued. “The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport will be making an announcement in the near future on this issue.”
- 9/5/2012 – “Shannon Airport to be separated from Dublin Airport Authority under new plans” http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shannon-airport-to-be-separated-from-dublin-airport-authority-under-new-plans-3103451.html
But Cork Airport will remain under Dublin management, according to the plans.
- 23/4/2012 – “State paid over €119,000 to Booz for airport report” http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/state-paid-over-119000-to-booz-for-airport-report-3088577.html
- 23/4/2012 – “Varadkar reveils cost of Booz & Co. Report” http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/varadkar-reveals-cost-of-reports-191498.html
- 20/3/2012 Cork Chamber Welcomes New Aer Lingus Cork-Brussels Route http://www.corkairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/12-03-20/Cork_Chamber_Welcomes_New_Aer_Lingus_Cork-Brussels_Route.aspx
- 10/3/2012 – “The President’s Speech” http://www.hotpress.com/8754960.html?new_layout=1
- 7/3/2012 – “Buttimer welcomes proposals for Cork Airport” http://jerrybuttimer.ie/2012/02/29/buttimer-welcomes-proposals-for-cork-airport/
- 29/2/2012 – “DAA control ‘a significant threat’ to Shannon Airport viability” http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/daa-control-a-significant-threat-to-shannon-airport-viability-185503.html
The report says further financial analysis would have to take place to determine the “appropriate level of debt that could be allocated to each of these airports” if they were removed from DAA control. The authors say Cork is in a “healthier situation” than Shannon and the need for separation “is less obvious although greater autonomy in terms of marketing and route development … would be good”.
- 29/2/2012 – “A taste of Rory Gallagher” http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/a-taste-of-rory-gallagher-185407.html
- 26/2/2012 – “President Higgins’ address at The Music Show” http://www.hotpress.com/Michael-D-Higgins/news/President-Higgins-address-at-The-Music-Show/8752577.html?new_layout=1
(After the stirring speech, Niall Stokes was on hand to present the President with a framed photo of Phil Lynott and Rory Gallagher to, in his words, “get some rock ‘n’ roll onto the walls of Aras AnUachtarain.”)
- 24/2/2012 – ‘The fact is that Cork had a rock star’ http://thecorknews.ie/articles/%E2%80%98-fact-cork-had-rock-star%E2%80%99-4329
- 22/2/2012 – “Varadkar rules out renaming Cork Airport after Rory Gallagher” http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/varadkar-rules-out-renaming-cork-airport-after-rory-gallagher-184624.html
- 21/2/2012 – “Varadkar made little effort to stop DAA boss from leaving” http://www.independent.ie/national-news/varadkar-made-little-effort-to-stop-daa-boss-from-leaving-3025300.html
- 3/2/2012 – “Rory is the ultimate international symbol for Cork” http://thecorknews.ie/articles/rory-ultimate-international-symbol-cork-4078
“I hope that the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=omejc2GgC-Y , which is a visual summary of the petition campaign, has the desired impact that Minister Varadkar changes his opinion and brings it up to Fine Gael’s next meeting, so it could be voted on.” said Ms Lehmann. “The final purpose is that Cork Airport will be renamed after Rory Gallagher.”
- 3/2/2012 – Transport: “The future of Ireland’s airports” http://www.eolasmagazine.ie/the-future-of-irelands-airports
Cork airport saw passenger volumes decline by 3 per cent to just over 2.4 million last year. The report sees it as profitable on a day-to-day basis and believes it could be viable as a standalone entity in the future. Cork’s governance structure should be reviewed to allow greater autonomy, the report adds.
- 2/2/2012 – “Shannon ‘doomed’ with state: O’Leary” http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/shannon-doomed-with-state-oleary-182324.html
Ryanair chief Michael O’Leary has written to Transport Minister Leo Varadkar, urging him to sell Shannon and Cork airports to the highest bidder.
- 18/1/2012 – “Festival for rock legend could help revive city” http://www.examiner.ie/news/festival-for-rock-legend-could-help-revive-city-180547.html
No one is going to hand Cork a menu of ideas to help dig it out of the unemployment that afflicts the area currently. It must find solutions for itself that do not draw on the Exchequer but instead leverage any natural advantages it has.
- 16/1/2012 – “Airports to stay in public ownership” http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airports-to-stay-in-public-ownership-says-varadkar-2989618.html
Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has said “it is intended that Cork and Shannon airports will remain in public ownership”. However, Mr Varadkar added: “That is not to say that there cannot be private sector investment and involvement in the airports in a way that is not the case currently.” “But uncertainty over the airports’ future is likely to continue for a few more months”, says Varadkar….
- 16/1/2012 – “Airports ‘to stay publicly owned” http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/airports-to-stay-publicly-owned-180265.html
- 12/1/2012 – “Turbulent times ahead as airports look to build a sustainable future” http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/turbulent-times-ahead-as-airports-look-to-build-a-sustainable-future-2986573.html